Goa is one of the most famous places individuals like to visit. Not only Indians are crazy about this place but also the people coming from all around the globe. The main reason why tourists choose Goa for a happening holiday is the easy life they get to experience. People of Goa are very welcoming and warm towards the tourists which helps people coming from different backgrounds and lifestyles to enjoy the ambiance of Goa comfortably. The local phrase “Susegado” fits perfectly with the life people come to experience in Goa, a life full of ease and enjoyment.
Located midway between the Tropic of Cancer and the Equator, individuals will experience uninterrupted sunshine and a temperature of 30 degrees on average. Goa does not experience much rainfall from November to April which makes it an excellent choice for having a warm winter break. Goa is exceptionally great for people who love food more than anything else in the world, as Goa is a coastal location. It has an abundant supply of fresh fish and seafood including tiger prawns, lobsters, red snapper, ladyfish, squid, and much more. The Local cuisine of Goa can be divided into two parts. In Konkan Hindi Dishes, creamy coconut milk is used with herbs and spices that are served with fresh fish and white rice that are exceptionally fluffed up. In the Goan Catholic Dishes use of vinegar, pork and beef is done in such a manner that your mouth will water just by the smell of it.
Goa is undoubtedly one of the most exotic places to visit but this small state of India is distinctively divided into two parts, North Goa and South Goa respectively. Tourists who want to explore just one of the states at a time find it rather difficult to choose between two. Let us see what these parts of Goa offer the visitors!
About North Goa
The North of Goa is framed by two rivers, the Mandovi and the Terekhol. North Goa is home to a fascinating coastline that is dotted with lively and bustling beach forest resorts. The amalgamation of five best things you can do best in North Goa is listed below:
- Scuba Diving
This is the top-recommended and loving thing to do in North Goa. This is because North Goa has many varieties of aquatic animal species that are not found elsewhere. North Goa also sits in the third position in terms of Scuba diving all over India. As it shares borders with the Arabia Sea, there are many varieties of reef sharks, turtles, aquatic plants, and more that can be witnessed.
- Fort Aguada
Apart from the natural heritage that Goa has, it is also known for witnessing one of the best historic structures around the state. You can witness the amazing sight of blue water amongst Fort Aguada in North Goa. This fort stands high signifying the glory of the empire of the Portuguese. You will experience another kind of tranquillity while being on this Fort. Take this part for relaxation and enjoy some meaningful or maybe meaningless conversation with companions.
- The Banana Boat Ride
This is the fun activity that almost every tourist wishes to do while staying in North Goa. It is one of the most entertaining water sports that individuals can experience while being on the Arabian Sea. A Banana Shaped boat with a sitting capacity of around 4 to 6 people is used for one of the most thrilling experiences. October and March are considered to be the best months to experience this play.
- Trekking at Dudhsagar Falls
Being one of the tallest waterfalls in India, the fun and excitement visitors get while trekking this fall is immense. The fall itself is one of the most beautiful falls in the whole country. The trekking ends with such a mesmerizing view of Dudhsagar that you will forget about the hardship you went through while climbing the path. This is one of the most beautiful and most visited places in North Goa.
- Bhagwan Mahaveer National Park
Many people are still unaware of the connection between North Goa and Nature. The North Side of Goa is connected with Bhagwan Mahaveer National Park and there you can witness many species. This is a home for leopards, spotted deer, jungle cats, pythons, squirrels, cobras, etc.
About South Goa
South of the Zuari River lies the southern edge of Goa. This part of Goa is quieter than the North one and even less developed but you will get to enjoy plenty of beaches in this area of Goa. This part of Goa will offer the best beaches, amazing accommodation options, and the longed chilled vibes you want to experience. People wanting a little hustle can visit Palolem that is in the far south and it is the perfect balance of natural beauty and languid vibes. These are the top 4 things you can experience in South Goa:
South Goa is the destination of adventures. Visitors love camping here as many beautiful locations prove to be one of the best destinations for experiencing perfect camping. Camping is perfect for people who want to explore the beauty of the nature South Goa holds and also want to have a peaceful time in the destination. Nature-lovers should go for these activities.
- Waterfall at the Temple
The Popular Bhagwan Mahaveer Temple attracts visitors because of the mesmerizing waterfall that surrounds the temple. This temple can be visited after the completion of just a two-hour trek.
- Riding a Hot Air Balloon
This is the dream of every child, who doesn’t want to take a ride on a Hot Air Balloon? I think no one. South Goa is one of the best destinations to do this activity. The beautiful and clear climate makes the activity very worth it as you will witness one of the best visions from an average of 2500 ft. This is far and away the best dream come true thing for height lovers.
- BigFoot Museum
For South Goa from its core, if you are an individual who wants to know everything about South Goa then you should visit BigFoot Museum. This museum shows the beautiful and inspiring past of Goa in the best possible manner. This museum aims to pass knowledge about the actual way of living in Goa
North Goa vs South Goa: Which One Should You Choose?
Goa is the smallest state of India but that never stopped it from being one of the most visited states in the country. From youngsters to retired individuals, everyone just falls in love with Goa. But there is one question that arises in everyone’s mind, North Goa or South Goa? While North Goa is all about shopping, nightlife, and liveliness, South Goa will offer you scenic drives, beautiful beaches, and above all, peace.
Vivid Comparison of North Goa and South Goa
- If you are someone who wants to see places of history, South Goa can be disappointing in some or another way. Go to North Goa where you can see Portuguese structures like the Basilica of Bom Jesus that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is known for its architecture and the past it carries on. You can also visit Se Cathedral, Chapora Fort, and Fort Aguada.
- If you are a vivid nature lover and want to experience every bit of it then consider going to South Goa rather than the Northern part. You will be able to participate in adventure activities that happen in the thick covering forests. South Goa features many wildlife centuries that are home to a plethora of flora and fauna. Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary, Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary are must-visits.
- For engaging in water sports, prefer going to North Goa as it is the home of numerous beaches that allow water-related activities like parasailing, banana ride, paragliding, kayaking, scuba diving, and much more. You can visit Vagator Beach, Calangute Beach, Anjuna Beach, and Baga Beach for doing such activities.
- Now, some people want calmness in their holiday. If you are a person looking for mesmerizing scenic beauty and a tranquil environment then you must visit South Goa and this is home to the best pristine beaches that offer very relaxed and natural views. You can visit Palolem beach, Colva beach, Butterfly Beach and Benaulim Beach.
- Some people are very party-driven and want a party experience in Goa. You can celebrate your party time both in North and South Goa but if you want a party that will stay all night long then go North Goa and it is very well known for its full-moon parties that continue till morning hits. There are many clubs you can visit for the same like the Bollywood Club by Titos, Cafe Mambos, Curlies and much more. You can dance all night and the music will be there by famous DJs. In North Goa, you can also go for bike night rides, cruise tours or can try your luck at casinos.
Even South Goa will offer you parties but they will be more on a silent and peaceful side. South Goa boasts “Silent Noise Parties” held every Saturday on Palolem Beach.
- Coming to Goa is such an eventual experience and obviously, everyone wants to take some remembrance and gifts. North Goa is the perfect place for picking up anything you like, from clothes to accessories to souvenirs, handicrafts, pottery, and whatnot. Markets of North Goa have everything you will love. The markets of North Goa are crowded yet lively. You can visit the Saturday night market in Arpora, Wednesday market at Anjuna, Friday Market, and much more.
- For enjoying gourmet Goad Food and drink do visit North Goa and the place has amazing cafes and beach shacks that offer a variety of gastronomic choices.
- For a budget holiday, North Goa is a go to go option anytime. North Goa has very affordable hotels and resorts including beach shacks offering beautiful views with delicious food.
For a lavish and tranquil holiday, go South Goa as it is characterized by accommodation that is luxurious with mesmerizing views. You will get to witness beautiful beaches and lush green areas that will soothe the eyes.
Goa is a small state of India but still is one of the most popular places. Youngsters dream of being here with their friends to enjoy and release the stress they have while working. Goa offers everything, from food to historic views, beaches to parties, and even tranquillity and liveliness. South and North Goa have their way to mesmerize the visitors. Goa is not only for party lovers but also for culture and history lovers. It is a myth that Goa only has parties but the truth is it is filled with cultural heritage and history like none. The churches surrounding Goa show the historic conduct of the Portuguese in the state and not only that, one can witness many temples too.
For party lovers who want to save some money but want to enjoy it to the fullest can prefer North Goa offering everything at a lesser price including the party vibes. South Goa should be visited by people who want to have a peaceful and intimate holiday for calming down.