Squid Game is on its way to becoming one of Netflix’s biggest shows. From being rejected for a decade, Squid Game has become a global success. It is a Korean drama rejected previously for nearly a decade by local studios before getting a green light from Netflix. This nine-episode survival drama television series has become one of the most popular non-English shows on Netflix. The popularity of this series is increasing by the day. Squid Game has been on a constant top #1 position on the popular streaming platform Netflix in over 90 countries and has been dubbed in 13 languages.
Squid Game – An Insight
Hwang Dong-hyuk is the writer and creator of the Popular Squid Game. As reported by The Wall Street Journal, author Hwang Dong-hyuk wrote this script over a decade ago, in 2009, and was rejected for ten years by local studios. Local studios rejected the script of Squid Game saying that the concept is ‘too grotesque’ and ‘implausible’. However, the show was later given a green signal by Netflix. Suddenly due to a financial crisis, the director was forced to sell off his $675 laptop for the money, so he had to halt the writing process. He was living with his mother and grandmother at that period. Now, it has become a number #1 show on Netflix with 18million plus viewers since the dubbing on September 17. A part of the success of the show is related to the Covid19 pandemic, says Hwang Dong. He says that the world has changed post Covid19.
Squid Game is expected to become one of Netflix’s biggest shows ever. The show has been gaining tremendous popularity and appreciation all over the globe. Thus Netflix has decided to increase its investments in Korean productions and content. Netflix reported to Wall Street Journal (WSJ) that it has invested nearly $700 million in Korean movies and television shows between 2015 to 2020.
Squid Game has received a rating of 9/10 and the tag of being one of the most awaited and exciting shows to hit Netflix. It will surely entertain its audience leaving viewers in awe of the show. It teaches us that one must not give up and have determination and grit to pursue your dreams to make them come true and bring them to reality. The story of the creator of the show Squid Game truly inspires us and teaches us that opportunities come from adversities and that one must not give up. From being rejected for ten years to becoming a global success, Squid Game has a lesson for us all! Follow your dreams and it might turn your life around completely! You never know.
This series comprises breathtaking visuals and has gained lots of viewership and popularity within a short period across the globe and has become a smashing global success! The script has been curated meticulously and has a captivating plot and gripping narrative to tell its audience. This movie was rejected for 10 years in a row by local studios for several reasons. In 2012, movies like Hunger Games became a big rage. Squid Game was rejected during this period repetitively though it had a similar concept.
Squid Games’ script was written a decade ago and after facing lots of hardship and numerous rejections. Mr. Hwang’s film was finally picked by Netflix and given a nod until it became a global success and an international super hit show.
A Summary Of Squid Game
Squid Game, which has been a streaming sensation on Netflix, arrived on September 17. It revolves around 456 desperate adults trapped in a vicious circle of unending debts and competing against each other in a mysterious and deadly survival tournament.
The show is relevant to the Covid-19 phase. Viewers have described the period drama as horrifying and terrible and questioned whether the dystopian show throws light on growing wealth disparities and inequalities in society, was in fact real. The show was previously rejected on the basis of being tagged as too unrealistic and way too grotesque. It is one of the most-watched shows on Netflix and has received worldwide appreciation, viewership and has a growing fan base and popularity.
Characters Cast In Squid Game
- Lee Jung-Jae plays Seong Gi-hun: Seong Gi-hun is addicted to gambling and is drowning in a Financial crisis. No sooner does he realize that his mother is diagnosed with diabetes thus he decides to participate when he hears about the secret game and the enormous cash prize it offers in order to settle his debts and pay his mother’s medical expenses.
- Park Hae-Soo plays Cho Sang-Woo: Cho-Sang-Woo grew up along with Seong Gi-hun in poverty. He graduates from Seoul National University and leads an investment team. He gets caught as he was looting his clients and becomes wanted by the police. That’s when he decides to enter the game with Seon Gi-hun.
- HoYeon Jung plays Kang Sae-byeok: Kang Sae-byeok joins the game to get her daily out of North Korea and in order to help her little brother.
- Anupam Tripathi plays Abdul Ali: A migrant worker hailing from Pakistan who suffers misery and loss of his fingers during a factory mishap. He decides to come forward and participate in the game in order to secure his wife and child and his family.
- Oh Young –Soo plays ohll– nam: The eldest member joins the game after being diagnosed with a brain tumor.
- Hei Sung-tae plays Kang Deok-Su: Caught in a vicious circle of gambling debts and on the run from the police he decides to participate in the game.
- Kim Joo-ryung plays Han Mi-nyeo: A mysterious woman who is a poor and single mother who decides to enter the game.
- Wi Ha-joon plays Jun-ho, Lee Byung-hun plays The frontman, he wears a mask and viewers don’t know him until episode 8 creating anonymity and mystery. Lee Yoo-mi plays Ji-yeong These are the characters of The Squid Game around whom the story revolves.
- Idea behind Squid Game: Several characters come forth to participate in this deadly tournament. All of them are wound up in severe debts and financial crises. They have nothing to lose and thus come forth to participate and win the enormous cash prize the game offers in order to turn over a new leaf in their lives. And turn over their lives for the better. The moral of this show is no dream is too small to see if you got enough nerve and courage. The story of the director itself says it all. After being rejected for 10 years Squid Game has now become a global sensation!
Wrap It Up
Squid Game director Hwang Dong-hyuk came up with the concept for this show in 2008 and wrote and curated the script the following year. He was ambitious and hardworking but it was rejected for 10 years before it made its way to becoming Netflix’s biggest show. The creator states Covid-19 has a connection with the success of the movie. He also states that writing the script was an adventurous process and all he knew was that either the show would be a masterpiece or a total flop.
The idea behind this was very experimental. Thus, his story motivates us and teaches us that no dream is too small to visualize and give up on. One must have faith and just go for it! It has become Netflix’s first-ever Korean series to back number #1position on the platform. Are you awaiting season two of Squid Game? You definitely know the game does not end at the ninth episode so stay tuned!